Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Amanda the Toastmaster


Apparently this is a real thing.


And has nothing to do with this.



Quin gave me an interesting assignment today... Survive one Toastmasters meeting. I was really excited, but it turns out it's the speaking kind of toast, not the delicious, crunchy bread kind you can put heap obscene amounts of jelly on. BUMMER.
It's basically a public speaking-improvement club, where they get together every week (I think) and take turns giving speeches and giving comments on those speeches. Everyone in the meeting has a job, and my favorite? The UM Counter. It's exactly what it sounds like. Someone sits there and counts the number of ums, ahs, errs, and uhhs you say while speaking. Awesome. I definitely want to be one when I grow up.
So after the food-less toastmasters meeting, I went to the lunch room (no toast there either; what kind of place are they running here?!) and TD was just coming in for lunch too, so we sat together. Super sweet intern lunch part II! Yeah. Super sweet may be a bit of a stretch, but eating with another person was kinda cool. Usually I read some sort of thriller novel; there are a couple shelves with books for employees in the lunchroom that I'm cranking through.

No comments: